Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaking of politics

5 posters

Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Speaking of politics

Post  VicarJoe Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:53 am

and this really is just politics, but man, I REAAAALLLLY enjoyed this video. This Obamamaton absolutely loses it when her bias is foregrounded. A huge grin on Joe's face.

Very Happy

VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Wait a second........

Post  just4once Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am

Is she upset because someone insulted her on air! Oh the hypocrisy Shocked
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty A grand slam home run

Post  Thereforeiam Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 am

for Ziegler into the upper deck. Degenerately, many of these media and entertainment people have become devoid of any common decency in the disguise of humor or news telecast ratings. Our political "leaders" (if there are any other than O'Bama) should speak out against this kind of behavior but unfortunately we all know they cower to the media.
Thereforeiam
Thereforeiam

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty I thought this was so funny.

Post  cradlerc Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm

I loved how she basically said, "I've been called a slut, and that's fine, but I can't bear how you're insulting my network." LOL.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Holy moly

Post  stihl Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm

The first time Contessa stops Joe sounded like a Mommy talking to her kid..."do you want to do this interview?"...."do you still want to go to the zoo?"

When Joe asked her "how would you like it?" , it came on the heels of "getting knocked by by A-Rod". When she responded "that has happened to me.", I thought A-Rod had knocked her up at Yankee Stadium.

I have never seen Contessa before, she struck me as an actress with the amount of inflection she used while setting up the story.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty I too loved that there's nothing wrong with being called a slut

Post  VicarJoe Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm called a slut all the time, and I'm still here!

Speaking of politics 354212
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty I think it's telling

Post  cradlerc Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:57 pm

that they left out the joke about Sarah Palin's 14 yo daughter in their coverage. It was also interesting to see the slant Brewer kept trying to give to it--that Sarah Palin was mightily insulted because she used the word "pathetic," when anyone with half a brain could hear that she took a lighthearted approach to a meanspirited attack. I guess when we women are told we look slutty by David Letterman, we're just supposed to giggle and blush, flattered that a geratric windbag is taking notice of us.

And honestly, Sarah Palin is lovely to look at and dresses just fine. Spare me. I don't particularly agree with her on many issues, but I'm a bit tired of the ongoing superficial attacks.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Joe, before I forget...

Post  stihl Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:02 pm

... I was happy to see Homer. "Dooh!"

Why didn't Joe just call Contessa and ignorant slut. Apparently she is OK with it. I noticed that she quickly moved to a new subject.

The next question from Joe would have been, "Contessa, did you like being called a slut?" What a Face

I am suprised Todd didn't kick the s--t out of Dave.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty But stihl, Dave was JOKING

Post  cradlerc Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:10 pm

That makes it ALL OK. I love that line,"Her real itinerary, that would have been boring to talk about." What a freaking moron Speaking of politics 382362
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty for me, the delight is in having the media have the cameras spun around and pointed at them

Post  VicarJoe Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 pm

I feel like an obsessive about the issue, but I feel like just about everything I experience in terms of politics is put through the blender of media bias and snarkiness and faux-knowingness, so that the biggest factor in any cultural moment is not what happened but who reported it and how. But of course the media depict themselves as observers, as if they don't have any influence but merely report. I think, honestly, they have ALL the influence. How does a politician have influence if he can't speak to the people EXCEPT through the media outlets? And they just HATE it when someone says, "while you're asking me questions, let me ask you a few...." Who ever asks on air, when corporate salaries are being criticized, whether Katie Couric is worth $15,000,000 a year?

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" Maybe the worst is that CNN show called Reliable Sources, where every week they ask, "are the media reliable?," and (prepare to be shocked) the media roundtable concludes that the media are reliable.

And it's hard to imagine how this ever gets undone, since the media are the channels through which information gets out, so that if the information that needs to get out is that the media are the problem, well, that message goes nowhere.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Remember the good ol' days...

Post  stihl Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:21 pm

...when a music critic panned Harry Truman's daugter's first public piano ricital? (I wasn't alive then). Truman said he critized everything accept the varnish on the piano. Truman sent the man a hand written note that said, "If I see you, I will kick your nuts up into your throat."

Truman's staff was aghast because the hand written note made the press. Truman told them to relax, "Every father in America will understand why I wrote that note." The public understood.

How far have we fallen that David Letterman can reffer to a lovely woman as a slut and, her daughter getting knocked up by A-Rod AND, he stays on the air. Speaking of politics 644535
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Hopefully the free market

Post  stihl Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:27 pm

VicarJoe wrote:
And it's hard to imagine how this ever gets undone, since the media are the channels through which information gets out, so that if the information that needs to get out is that the media are the problem, well, that message goes nowhere.

Joe, I hope with the interent lowering the cost of "broadcasting news" we will see the traditional news sources competed against. But, this will only happen if there is a true demand for un-biased reporting.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty I will say this, stihl

Post  VicarJoe Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:35 pm

I cheer a bit inside every time I hear that the NY Times is near bankruptcy and the Boston Globe may close and the network news divisions are bleeding money. I really truly believe that a committed and rigorous press is necessary for a democracy to function, but absent that, and given what we do have, I'd prefer no press.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Dave's apology

Post  stihl Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:15 pm

I found a site that posted Letterman's "apology". Apparently Gov. Palin had taken her 14 yr. old daughter, Willow, to the Yankee game. So, folks wouldn't get the wrong idea about him, Dave said he would never make a joke about a 14 year old having promiscus sex.

He was joking about the 18 year old daughter. Ah, that's sooooo much better Dave.

Apparently, Mom is still a slut.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Speaking of politics Empty Re: Speaking of politics

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down