Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Success

3 posters

Go down

True Success Empty True Success

Post  VicarJoe Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm quoting this passage from the magazine Touchstone, which came in the mail today. The magazine's sub-title is "A Journal of Mere Christianity," and it is really just that: a kind of magazine for Christians as CS Lewis might have imagined one.

Anyway, the beginning of the magazine has several short meditations on various themes, and I quite liked the following one by Peter Leithart.

TRUE SUCCESS

We think success means being good or so great that no one can do without us, yet a successful scholar is one whose work continues in his students long after he retires, and a successful entrepreneur is one whose company chugs merrily along while he's taking a holiday on the beach. A successful parent is one who, eventually, doesn't have to be there.

Success is a movement into invisibility. Success is decreasing so that others may increase. Success is a seed dying in the ground and bearing fruit upward. Success is becoming dispensable. The successful man is the one who will not be missed.

True Success 76180
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

True Success Empty Goes into the commonplace book!

Post  cradlerc Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks! Smile
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

True Success Empty Speaking of the sucess....

Post  stihl Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:04 pm

...I suspect that Lindisfarne will past the 1000 post mark in the next week. We should celebrate.

I am sure the Giant Hand isn't looking for thanks but, thanks.

In the same vein as your post, true charity doesn't wait around to be thanked.

I am still working on Lewis's "Miracles", rather challengeing. True Success 99543
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

True Success Empty Re: True Success

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down