Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaking of music

+2
BelievHUman
cradlerc
6 posters

Go down

Speaking of music Empty Speaking of music

Post  cradlerc Tue May 19, 2009 1:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for music for prayer and meditation--gregorian chant and the like. So far I've been stuck with Enya.

Don't mock--Enya and the Celtic Christmas CD's enabled me to get through childbirth. That and the epidurals, of course. tongue

But I need more variety.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty No recommendations

Post  BelievHUman Tue May 19, 2009 2:04 pm

but I am going to back you up on Enya, I love her voice and music style.

I have her on my MP3 player.

Also, There is something powerful about Gregorian chant.
Sound is very important to how we operate as human and effects us greatly.

Smile
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty I agree.

Post  cradlerc Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Have you ever read Anam Cara, by John O'Donahue (sp?). He talks about Celtic spirituality the soul's need for music.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty I have not

Post  BelievHUman Tue May 19, 2009 2:20 pm

but a quick preview chapter from amazon showed that it would/will be interesting reading, thank you.

I am big on Sound and it's effects, from a scientific view as the Law of vibrations and from the Emotion and spiritual in it's effects
on our Being but, I don't want to hijack your thread as you asked a question of which I do not have an answer.
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty I too like Enya, so

Post  just4once Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm

no mocking coming from me. I enjoy Celtic music. Have you heard of Celtic Woman? They had a special on PBS:
http://www.celticwoman.com/trellis/Homepage
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty I recommend

Post  AustenFan Tue May 19, 2009 3:41 pm

the works of the Taize community. Excellent music.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty Classical Music

Post  HumbleHank Wed May 20, 2009 4:24 pm

cradlerc wrote:I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for music for prayer and meditation--gregorian chant and the like. So far I've been stuck with Enya.

I mentioned in another thread that I have been listening to a lot more classical music lately and oftentimes I feel spiritually moved while listening to it. Although I can't think of many times that I deliberately made it part of my prayer or mediation time. The one exception is a few times that I have been in the adoration chapel and needed to quite my mind down a little bit, or drown out the outside noise, and turned to my mp3 player.

One composer to consider would be Bach. He seemed to write a lot of music that had spiritual connotations. I found this old article from the NY Times that offers some information about him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/20/arts/music-coming-to-fresh-terms-with-the-sacred-in-bach.html

Peace.
HumbleHank
HumbleHank

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Post  cradlerc Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty I enjoy both kinds of music....

Post  stihl Thu May 21, 2009 10:46 am

...Country and Western. (anybody seen the Blues Brothers?)

A couple of songs to listen to that have wonderful harmonies are: Linda Ronstadt, "By the Rivers of Babylon", a song about Jewish captivity in Babylon. This was on her "Hasten Down the Wind" album. Another is by Allison Krause, "Down to the River" (think I havethe title right), an old Southern gospel song. This song is on the "O'Brother Where Art Thou'" sound track. It is sung acapala (sp).

I will have to listen to Austen's suggestions. I haven't heard much Christian music done well.

I really like harmonies.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty I don''t think it

Post  AustenFan Thu May 21, 2009 11:08 am

would qualify as Christian music if you are thinking of that as lyrics set to rock beats. John Michael Talbot, is, of course, a Christian. He is a Catholic who founded a mixed community of Catholic people under vows. The words of the songs are based on scripture as well as writngs of St. Paul, Theresa of Avila and others. The Taize community was started by a man who was RC, but the community is interfaith now, I believe. Their music-which sounds like it grew out of an apprecaition for Gregorian chants-is based on a number of Psalms and other parts of services from the Benedictine tradition. I have never seen Taize in your average CD store. I think you need to order it on line. Talbot is more generally available as he is the best known Catholic recording artist in the world, I think. His personal story is very inspiring.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

Speaking of music Empty Re: Speaking of music

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum