Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BHU, computer question,

2 posters

Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty BHU, computer question,

Post  stihl Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 am

If you don't mind, I have a computer question for you. I am running XP and installed Norton 360. Norton had been bugging me to perform a backup. I did it and it went to the D: drive, which I think a physically part of the C: drive, just portioned off.

Problem: There wasn't enough space on D: and now the D: drive is full and I keep getting a "Low Disk Space" message telling to delete old files. Problem: I tried and the files are read only and it won't let me delete them. Mad Suggestions?

I should probably pay you for your advice so, I am going to grant you full consciousness on your death-bed so, you'll have that going for you. What a Face

Thanks,
Stihl
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty Hmmmm

Post  BelievHUman Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Norton is a tough one, past expereince is that it diga itself deep the the registry and is hard to remove, as well as a resource hog.

First I hope you have maxed out your computer memory, that is number 1 on an older system.
Do you have the option not to back up your system, and/or can you delete the backup?

You need enough space on your computer to allow a 'pagefile' which is like secondary memory on the HD.
If not enough, you will get errors pertaining to drive space.

I usually work for Beer but I accept your payment! :-)
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty 3 to 4 years old

Post  stihl Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

I will stop the back-up option on Norton. Is there a way to convert the "read only" files into files that can be deleted?

Regarding beer. In God Debris, the author suggested that it be read by like minded folks and discussed over a frosty beverage. That sounded like a good idea. drunken
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty What's the

Post  BelievHUman Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 am

status on your computer?
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty status

Post  stihl Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:00 am

No change, I stopped Norton from backing up but, I still get messages that the D drive is full. I can't figure out how to convert files from read only to something I can delete. Rolling Eyes
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty Do you know

Post  BelievHUman Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 pm

the admin password for your system, you may need to log into this account the release the files
or give your current account full admin rights (See below).

(right click on 'My computer' go to 'manage' and then 'Local Users and Groups', in Groups pick 'administrator'
add yourself to the group and reboot)
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty got it...

Post  stihl Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 am

Bhu, I got it. Now I have to get an external drive to back up my HD. thanks for the help, Stihl Smile
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty Most

Post  BelievHUman Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:08 pm

excellent. I take it computer repair is why we haven't seen you on the forums much?
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty No, not computer...

Post  stihl Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 am

...I have to take a periodic break from the forums. I do like to read other views and take the time to consider and digest. When my postings on the forums start repeating themselves, it is time to lay off.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

BHU, computer question, Empty Re: BHU, computer question,

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down