Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stories of the day from the UK

Go down

Stories of the day from the UK Empty Stories of the day from the UK

Post  VicarJoe Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:07 am

You know a society has lost its way when...

Prisoners on the run can't be named in case it breaches their human rights, says government

Escaped prisoners who are on the run will not be named in case it breaches their right to privacy, civil servants have ruled.

The edict has been made even though many convicts are fully identified with photographs sent out by police at the time they go on the run.

Ministry of Justice officials say the Data Protection Act means they are unable to confirm the names of escaped prisoners still at large.

The case mirrors that of Jason Croft and Michael Nixon who went on the run from Sudbury Prison in Derbyshire in 2006.

Police refused to release pictures of the pair, who were both convicted murderers, when asked by the media.

The force said it had to consider the Human Rights Act and data protection laws when asked to publish 'wanted' photographs of the two men.

AND THEN THERE'S THIS STORY...

Schools bar parents from sports day... to keep out paedophiles

Parents were banned from attending an inter-school sports day to protect pupils from kidnappers and paedophiles.

The host school said they could not prevent 'unsavoury' characters from sneaking in.

More than 270 pupils from four local primaries took part in the East Beds School Sports Partnership Athletics Day at Sandy Upper School in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire last week.

Youngsters aged seven and eight competed in the long jump, hurdles, sprint, 400 metres and relay races. Their parents, many of whom wanted to take time off work to attend, condemned the ban.
One mother, who did not wish to be named, said: 'They said they just could not estimate how many parents were going to be there, and were worried that they couldn't stop someone who shouldn't be there from being there. But I think it's just health and safety gone mad.'

Mother-of-three Emma Collett, 33, of Biggleswade, has a child at St Andrew's Lower School in the town.

She said: 'I would have taken time off work to support my child. It would have meant a lot to me.

'I'm all for measures to protect the safety of children but lines must be drawn and common sense must prevail.'

Paul Blunt of the East Bedfordshire School Sports Partnership, which ran the event, said the 'ultimate fear' was that a child could be abducted.

He said: 'If we let parents into the school they would have been free to roam the grounds. All unsupervised adults must be kept away from children.

'An unsavoury character could have come in and we just can't put the children in the event or the students at the host school at risk like that.

'The ultimate fear is that a child is hurt or abducted, and we must take all measures possible to prevent that.'
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down