Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Land Before Time

3 posters

Go down

The Land Before Time Empty The Land Before Time

Post  cradlerc Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm at that stage with one of my children when we watch the same movie, day after day. Right now, it's The Land Before Time, the one with the little dinasaurs travelleing to the great valley. And I have to say, after watching it with her, oh fifty times or so, I've finally noticed the allegorical elements of it. It's like Everymanfor toddlers. As she's dying, the mother longneck tells Littlefoot, the hero, that he needs to get to the great valley, a place he can only see in his heart. They have to fight the evil of the sharptooth along the way, forming a little community (a little multiculturalism thrown in there, as different types of dinosaurs band together)--I'm always struck by the fact that they actually killthe t-rex by luring it to its death--overcoming personal vices, and finally arriving at the Great Valley--a place of milk and honey, or in this case, plants and water. And their families are there, of course.

It's really lovely, actually!
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

The Land Before Time Empty My oldest is now deeply into Star Trek (the old series with William Shatner, not the new ones)

Post  VicarJoe Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 pm

which is just one allegory after another.

My fave is when Kirk splits in two: good Kirk and bad Kirk. Good Kirk lays about crying and moping and can't lift a finger to help, because he lacks the kind of masculine and aggressive energy a captain needs. But he's very sensitive and caring. Bad Kirk is hyper-aggressive and powerful and commanding, but a moral cretin. You have to put 'em both through the transporter and unite the two into one to get a leader you'd want.

I think that's very profound. jocolor
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

The Land Before Time Empty Wow, you brouht back some nice

Post  just4once Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 pm

memories for me cradle. My son, who is 21, use to watch that very same movie over and over. I think he was age 4 or 5. Bet I have you beat at the number of times Laughing I remember some sequels also, but not as good. That movie led to at least 7 more years of dinosaur fascination. He had every model dinosaur there was. (I have them in my attic).
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

The Land Before Time Empty Re: The Land Before Time

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down