Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

2 posters

Go down

Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time Empty Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Post  HumbleHank Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 am

http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/092709.shtml

In an effort to rekindle discussion and personal reflection on scripture I thought I would share my thoughts from the readings from this past Sunday.

I was struck most by the words of James in the second reading. My visceral reaction to this reading was a sinking feeling about our culture, of hoarding away wealth in the form of material possessions and long-term savings; a culture that I am fully an accessory to, and spend much too much time worrying about. As I read the passage in it's entirety, I suspect that I took a much more literal interpretation of the passage than was intended by the author. Or did I?

I will probably continue to add to my thoughts here. I was wondering too what struck you in these readings.

Peace my Brothers and Sisters.
HumbleHank
HumbleHank

Back to top Go down

Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time Empty My thoughts on this:

Post  cradlerc Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:24 pm

First, I found myself nodding along with the the first and second reading, first because I like what Moses says about there being too few prophets, and wondering what prevents us from being prohets. It reminded me of something I read recently about Mother Teresa, and how her dark night of the soul implicates all of us who think we would need to be more "in touch with God" to do holy work. I also just like that image of the goods devouring the body (well, like is a wrong word, probably, but it's a powerful image!) It made me think of the recent find in England of the Anglo-Saxon hoard of gold, and how in Beowulf, the dragon gaurds gold because it's useless, and because it only has meaning as a carrier of culture between tribes. It is nothing on its own, and to let it accumulate is dangerous. I suppose I distinguish between sensible hoarding, which I equate with the story of lean years and fat years in the Old Testament (and clearly it's GOOD to save in that story), and confusing things with their symbolic value.

I wasn't quite sure how to fit all of this together with the third reading, however. I always like that line about people who aren't against Jesus being with him; it makes me rest a little easier when I worry about those outside of Catholicism. It seems like he's saying that when you do a good thing in Jesus' name, it's impossible for it to be anti-Christ. This contrasts with the disciples, who only think[i] their motivations are pure, when really they are the ones being anti-God and prideful. But I'm not sure how this goes along with wealth--unless wealth and pride are connected somehow.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time Empty Re: Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Post  HumbleHank Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:37 am

Perhaps the gospel is intended to stand-alone with its message about pride and jealousy. However, as I re-read the gospel, it does stretch my mind a little bit to see some symbolism in the idea that we do not hold possession of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. It raises the image of a pretentious Christian that shows little concern for those around them, claiming an exclusive entitlement to the salvation of God.

I suppose the unsettled feeling the second reading gave me is in a way a calling to be more generous with all the gifts that the Holy Spirit has bestowed upon me.

Peace to you Cradle.
HumbleHank
HumbleHank

Back to top Go down

Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time Empty Re: Readings from the 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down