Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The old religion forum

+3
AustenFan
cradlerc
Thereforeiam
7 posters

Go down

The old religion forum Empty The old religion forum

Post  Thereforeiam Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:23 pm

is now ironically "post dominated" by atheists. The lack of respect for theism and the absurdity and antagonism of so many of their posts even totally turns off someone with beliefs such as mine. I don't find agent86 as a goofy numbskull like some of you other than I agree he is a cafeteria Christian with his pick and choose beliefs. I almost felt like coming to Libs defense today on there but I backed off because of his history of anti-Semetic antics.

This place is nice but little used lately and I'm wondering why? Too Peaceful and non-controversial?
Thereforeiam
Thereforeiam

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Summer, maybe?

Post  cradlerc Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:08 pm

I'm not sure if it's completely the lack of controversy, though the mindless back and forth of the old forum does lend itself to longer posts.

I will say this--I hit up the other forum after reading your post, and whenever Azemour crawls out of the woodwork, I feel the place has really gone to pot. Some people are trolls--but the earnest numbskulls like her, who fell AT HOME with the trolls, really frighten me. I could go on, but I won't. But her presence is always a sign of hitting bottom, IMHO. Eg., Therefore, did you know that you hate women and the poor if you dont like Ted Kennedy? LOL--and she claims to teach at a university. Shocked
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty If it were not

Post  AustenFan Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:30 am

for the Theists, Agent 86, and Therefore that place would completeley die because the Militant Atheists and the trolls would have nothing to work off of. It would end up as LiberalsAreLost yammering away against the trolls. You can tell the discusssion is completely bombing when new handles regularly show up. I'm not even sure that some of the trolls believe everything they say. Being trolls, they'll extend their opinion to the degree of offensiveness which they think will get a response. The number of people whose posts I do not read now far extends the ones I do read, but it's not at all diddicult to extrapolate what the trolls have said by the respnse to them.

I don't think 86 is a goofy numskull. I couldn't call someone who thinks a baby isn't a human being until it comes out of the birth canal either goofy, which sounds sort of pleasantly wacky, or a numbskull. I think he actually thought about this view a lot which is even scarier. I think he's beyond a cafeteria Catholic; I think he's a Universalist Theist who think Jesus was a great role model with spiritual power. That's fine, but why claim to be a RC? He rejects far more of Catholic teaching than he accepts as far as I can tell. I also think he's probably a likeable guy in real life, and he's comes to the forum in his spare time to push a few buttons as a means of amusement, and sometimes he can engage in trollish behavior without actually being one.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty I admit, I get bored there easily

Post  VicarJoe Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:32 am

but moreover, I don't religion is a suitable "blood sport" topic.

I haven't done much here because of summer--having the kids around, projects, beer--when I don't do much serious thinking.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Re: The old religion forum

Post  SursumCorda Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Austenfan, your characterization of Agent is exactly the way I would have phrased it.

I haven't been around much because of travel, kids being home, etc., although now that
the kids are back in school life is about to really speed up with extracurricular activities.
We limit each child to two activities, but with three kids it gets crazy fast! bounce
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Sursum, I love your icon!

Post  cradlerc Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 pm

Who is that?
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty I'm guessing....Veronica?

Post  VicarJoe Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:23 pm

I must enter a message when posting, it says.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Pretty much

Post  BelievHUman Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:52 pm

I have stayed out of the Syracuse, Cleveland and NOLA forums.

Too much negativity much of the time.
On NOLA, I cannot even speak without being accused as another nic of theinfinite, who happens
to live here in Oregon.

I have spent most time (if any recently) on OregonLive or AlabamaLive which tends to be the most active.

By the way, I appreciate your comment on syracuse Austenfan,
I see no reason to not be civil despite differences.
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Hello BeliveHuman

Post  AustenFan Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:40 am

Even though I don't agree with all your comments, I think you are a person of sincerity, intelligence and faith and we do share a great interest in the mystic tradition. I have enjoyed your posts even if I argue vociferously at times. Smile

Not only has many of the ideas been exhausted, but the constant trolling on religion forums tends to run people off. Now I just go over there to thumb my nose at trolls and leave Laughing I also get some satisfaction that the trolling people who reply to me desperately want me to respond and I don't even read the posts. I wish it hadn't come to that, but that's what three plus years on religion forums did to me. The old religion forum 241816 One can only take so much The old religion forum 98220 It will either drive one to The old religion forum 325382 or you feel like The old religion forum 142740 ing the darn thing. You either have Laughing Rolling Eyes eat The old religion forum 459453
I have already left two other .com forums.

And that's my The old religion forum 500849

Best to you.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Howdy to all

Post  stihl Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 am

Sorry for the absence. Between summertime and forgetting the adress (I lost it out of favorivtes) I haven't gotten back to the forum. Anywhoo, here I am. I hope you are all doing well.

I have peeked in on Syracuse.com but, it seemed pointless, and sad.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty I think

Post  BelievHUman Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Civil vociferous argument is a good thing!

I used to 'polish my act' in 'debate' with my parents, it helped me to see both sides
of a 'conversation'.

So now I go in trying to look from the 'opposition' view, it helps in the discussion IMO.

This is lost on those who simply want to argue just to argue with no real intent at discussion.

And hey stihl, good to see you back, I have been out and about recently as well.
Gotta take advantage of the outdoors in the NW, our window before grey skies is closing.

:-)
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Hi, Stihl

Post  AustenFan Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Good to "see" you.
Smile

I was wondering where you had been.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Austen and BH

Post  stihl Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:11 am

Thank you for the greeting. It is good to be back on line. Since my absence, I obtained "higher speed" internet. The emoticons now move, so I've got that going for me. The old religion forum 99543

It was a full summer of coaching baseball, looking at colleges, camping and fishing. Now it is time to get the firewood put up.

Shtihl
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

The old religion forum Empty Re: The old religion forum

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum