Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacralizing the Secular

3 posters

Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty Sacralizing the Secular

Post  VicarJoe Fri May 29, 2009 8:11 am

Sacralizing the Secular Obamaworship

This painting was unveiled in NYC and displayed at Union Square on the 100th day of the current president's term.

The artist "insists that this piece is a mirror; reflecting the personal opinions and emotions of the viewer; that "The Truth" [the name of the painting] like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. D'Antuono expects that individual interpretations will vary as widely as they do in the political arena. The work will be seen by one viewer at a time behind a voting booth-inspired public installation."

Thoughts?
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty sacrelig......

Post  stihl Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 am

Did I spell that right?

I understand how folks are all excited about America breaking a barrier. I did not vote for President Obama, but for the sake of my Afircan American countrymen, I am happy.

However, between the crown of thorns and the arms held in the postion of being nailed to the cross, I AM APALLED on two levels.

Number one, comparing the election of a mortal man to a temporal-secualr-political office to the Mystery of the Eternal Sacrifice of God's only Son is like comparing a mouse fart with New York philomonic orchastra play Betoven's (sp) 9th symphony.

Number two, WHAT HAS THE MAN SACRAFICED??????

I am sure the idea of sacrificed never entered the artist's mind. I am sure what he had in mind was the new and improved version of Jesus, the one who was just a social activist, community organizer, hippy and a philosopher. flower flower power
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty There was a fellow who did a performance art piece

Post  VicarJoe Fri May 29, 2009 11:07 am

where a fellow who looked like Obama rode into Washington on a donkey while people threw palms before him. I think THAT artist's piece was a satire on the messianic pretensions of modern utopian politics. But this guy above, he sounds like a moron--dabbling in imagery he knows is explosive and sacred to hundreds of millions, while claiming the personal emotions and opinions of the spectators individually are all it means. That's just reckless and dumb, and I have to say, as art not much better than the cover of Mad Magazine.

Your "mouse fart" comment, by the way, was spot on. Hilarious and perfect.

Last edited by VicarJoe on Fri May 29, 2009 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty Thanks Joe...

Post  stihl Fri May 29, 2009 11:18 am

mouse fart.....anytime I can work in a reference to bodily functions, I believe it is my solemn duty (doody) to do so. Sacralizing the Secular 142740 Sacralizing the Secular 142740 Sacralizing the Secular 142740
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty I'll look for some more bathroom-related emoticons for you.

Post  VicarJoe Fri May 29, 2009 11:20 am

Sacralizing the Secular 241816
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty Ahh Joe....

Post  stihl Fri May 29, 2009 12:03 pm

you are too kind. If you can find an emoticon that is peeing that would be great. I have always enjoyed the expression "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining".

Of course it'd be tough to use here because most everything posted here is straight forward. Can we transfer emoticons to Syracuse.com? There is an abudant of oppurtunity to use the expression there.

I haven't posted there in a long, long time. Sacralizing the Secular 466947
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty I am not proud, but here you go

Post  VicarJoe Fri May 29, 2009 12:40 pm

:pee:

This one is for cradle: Sacralizing the Secular 41763
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty I find this

Post  BelievHUman Fri May 29, 2009 1:25 pm

'art' to be degrading on many Level's.

To Christians who hold Jesus's Death and Resurrection as Sacred.

To Obama as well, who we all know is just a human, same as you and I.

I cringe when I see and hear reference to him being the messiah.
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

Sacralizing the Secular Empty Re: Sacralizing the Secular

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum