Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catholic religious education resources question

5 posters

Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty Catholic religious education resources question

Post  AustenFan Wed May 13, 2009 6:04 pm

For those of you who are RC here and have kids in CCD, I am wondering if you can help me with a question about Catholic education resources. Do you know the name of the curriculum used in CCD and the publisher(s)? What do you think of it? How have your kids liked it? Is it Bible stories, activities, questions and answers, or all of these? The pastor of the church I work at and attend is a former RC. He really appreciated that when he was about to receive Confirmation they used the catechism. He would like me to take a look at some Catholic curriculum to see what they offer for various age groups and perhaps adapt it to our use. He feels that he would like a more knowledge based approach-that is-kidse memorize things and are tested. I am not quite on board with this plan because I think he is coming out of an educational model that worked in the fifties but wouldn't work now since kids are tech saavy and want "bells and whistles", but I am tyrying to find out information. I also think this will require me to write a whole curriculum by next Fall (groan) if I can't find resources already available. I will also call a DRE at a local RC parish, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty I''m sorry, I don''t know.

Post  cradlerc Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 pm

I can try to find out, though.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty Re: Catholic religious education resources question

Post  just4once Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm

My three all went to CCD. My oldest used a different set of books than my two youngest. I know it was published by Loyola Press and it was called "Finding God" (I think). I can too can ask around for you.
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty Sorry

Post  stihl Thu May 14, 2009 2:54 pm

The last time I taught Religous Ed. I was asked to leave because I got the kids to wound-up. :twisted: None of them got bored.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty Re: Catholic religious education resources question

Post  AustenFan Thu May 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Stihl,

I have been teaching a class of all boys in the second and thrid grade Sunday School class because the regular teacher needed to take a few months off. You have to keep them moving, so we have things like treasure hunts based on phrases from the Bible, or they throw a soft ball around and answer questions. Last week we had a game where the lesson had to deal with Jesus telling the disciples to throw the fishing net over the right side of the boat and they got as huge catch of fish. I had a magnetic game where the fish had mouths that opened and closed and their pond turned. They had little plastic poles. They would catch a fish and based on its number they would have a question about the story which they needed to answer. Boys, in particular are not good at being still, although it's now harder for girs to be still too. Studies have shown that boys actually tend to do better in all boys schools where they have times they can take break to do some activity than involves movement . It is also no coincidence that if you ask most young boys what their favorite activity in school it's gym. So you sound like you were lots of fun.
Smile

I just get them wound up and send them back to their parents. | ;)
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty We had class during Mass..

Post  stihl Thu May 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I guess nobody could hear the homily. scratch

I was like you, active yet related to the topic.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty CCD resources

Post  SursumCorda Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Austenfan,

Urggghh....My husband and I taught 2nd-grade CCD up 'til we moved to ND last
September, but I am drawing a complete blank on the name of the resources. I
can picture the textbook in my mind!

I'll write to our DRE and ask. She doesn't check her email every day, but I'll let
you know what she says. Actually, several of my friends back there still are
teaching, so I can ask one of them.

So an answer should be coming soon. ;)
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Catholic religious education resources question Empty CCD resources Part 2

Post  SursumCorda Fri May 15, 2009 5:45 pm

OK, just had an "a-ha!" moment -- our parish used the Faith First program from RCL
publishing. The Web site is http://www.faithfirst.com. The textbook did encourage
a lot of active-type learning, and the 2nd-grade edition seemed well suited to the
kids' intellectual level.

I have to say that I probably agree that rote memorization seems to work best in
regard to specific prayers. I opted for a more relaxed, open approach last year,
and one of the kids got tossed out of confession because he didn't know the Sign
of the Cross (!!!), even though we did it at the beginning and end of class each
week, with the Hail Mary, the Our Father, and the Glory Be. If the parents don't
take the time to teach their kids about the faith, it's almost impossible to get the
job done in 1 hour, once a week.

I'm starting to rant and get off topic, so I'll cut this short! :arrow:

Cheers!
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum