Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When TLC reality shows go bad.

+2
AustenFan
cradlerc
6 posters

Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty When TLC reality shows go bad.

Post  cradlerc Mon May 25, 2009 12:55 am

So, I'm sitting here while my kids watch a Jon & Kate Plus 8 marathom, which is leading up to tomorrow's premiere of season 5 tomorrow. Now, in case you don't watch this show, it's one of thopose TLC
"documentary" series which follows a family around, in this case, the Gosselins, who have twins and sextuplets.
And in case you haven't seen a tabloid, they seem to be about the get a divorce.

Now, I admit to having probably an unhealthy obsession of my own with TLC family shows. I really like "LIttle People Big World," even though it caused my younger daughter to get embarassingly excited when she saw a little person at the Farmer's Market. He was like a celebrity to her, simply because of his size, and she was quite happy to broadcast her delight. Loudly. And I really love the Duggars, with their eighteen kids and long weird homemade skirts and Creationist beliefs.

But now things are getting downright weird. I'm thinking about the implications of turning families into freakshows, and feeling a tad guilty. My girls love this show because, let's face it, it's fun to watch six toddlers run amok, especially when it's not happening to you personally. But now this cute show (well, Kate seems like a bit of psycho and Jon a bit beaten down, but the kids seem not to notice that) has become a primer on adultery. Jon, apparently, has some 23 yo girlfriend, and now there are tabloid rumors of Kate hooking up with her bodyguard. Some blog I read recommends using it as a way to talk about divorce, by saying things like "Sometimes parents don't get along, and then they get divorced, but they still love their kids!" They're kidding, right? Because my kids are saying things like, "maybe you shouldn't be 'facing each other for the first time' on tv," and "wow, Jon's real stupid." Plus, I imagine it doesn't help when I say things like, "lay off, Kate! If the and doesn't want hair implants, leave him alone!"

So, while I used to think maybe it's good that we have shows that celebrate family life, I've suddenly realized that there may be a downside to this. Maybe reality tv is just bad, no matter how good the intentions initially, and it's bad because of something inherent, something that doesn't depend on content.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty I don''t have cable

Post  AustenFan Mon May 25, 2009 2:43 am

and don't watch much T.V. so I have not seen any of the reality shows. Back in the early70's there was a series about
real" family. It was on PBS, I believe . I forget the name, but that might have been the origin of "reality T.V." about families. I think the concept is inherently flawed because I think it's too stressful for a family to be under the miscropscope all the time. When you add to the stress of regular family life a situation where people in their twenties have 8 toddlers, this kind of thing is not surprising. All of this is aggravated by a family that now NEEDS to have the money from a show, and if you have anyone with narcisscisstic tendencies that will be exacerbated. I just see the tabloids at the supermarket but the mother seems to have gone from being a slightly chubby cute brunette to be a perpetually blonde tanned, slim woman who looked like she regularly spent several hundred dollars on her hair and much more on her clothes. She couldn't be herself. Either the program gave her a makeover or she decided that she needed that or both. Sure this family would have had challenges had they not had the show, but they would not had the intense scutiny and second guessing about everything they do. I think the whole concept-aside from the money-sounds like hell. I know people who haven't liked to have the "inspection" of having open houses when they put their house on the market. Imagine having your parenting, your housekeeping and your marriage on displays for millions of viewers very week? Shudder What a Face I say No No No
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty I recall reading

Post  VicarJoe Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 am

some excerpts from an interview with Kate where she was quoted saying of her television gig, "I've worked so hard for this, and I am not going to let him take it from me." It struck me that perhaps you often have, in reality television, people who are thinking more in terms of career than in terms of lived reality. Her family life may be, in her head, her "show" which she has worked on and "developed." As if family is intellectual property.

I did read yesterday that they're paid 75,000 per episode. I also wonder how much drama we might create simply to keep those checks rolling in.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Yes, I expect

Post  AustenFan Tue May 26, 2009 10:50 am

she is talking in terms of career. Her children are not a marketable commodity, and I expect with reality shows the drama is hyped to get an audience. I feel no symathy for someone who gets $750, 000 an episode and then acts like a prima donna. I probably would have liked she and her husband better had they stayed who they were before the show, and this is just my reaction from tabloids and the little bit of an interview I saw with her.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Whoops.

Post  AustenFan Tue May 26, 2009 10:51 am

Typo' Meant $75, 000 at episide.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty I think it's interesting

Post  cradlerc Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 pm

that families have become commodified in this way--especially large families. Watching the premiere was like watching a train wreck, and you do have to wonder how much is manufactured because it makes good tv. Who in their right mind would play out their possible divorce in front of the American public? Why am I asking that, actually? Of course people do it all the time.

What really interests me are these issues of privacy and voyeurism--and how much money people are willing to pay for the opportunity to watch packaged slices of another's life.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty I think they

Post  AustenFan Tue May 26, 2009 12:31 pm

are willing to watch packaged slices of other peoples lives because it gives them a vicarious pleasure of feeling superior. One can say, "Things may be difficult for me, but thank God I don't have to deal with eight toddlers," or "She's a conniving b., isn't she?" or even (although I don't watch the show) "I have no sympathy for people who make $75, 0000 an episode and then act like prima donnas." ;) I really don't though. When you deal with theatre people for a good portion of your life you tend to lose patience with people who throw tantrums because they need to be the center of attention, whatever art form they are involved with in-or none at all.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Austenfan, I believe

Post  just4once Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

the PBS family was the Loud family and it should have set an example fo why not to do these shows. If I remember correctly, the family fell apart.
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Yes, Just4

Post  AustenFan Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 pm

It was the Loud family. Thanks for the information. I couldn't remember their name. The parents did ger sepaarted and divorced during the show.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Frontier House

Post  HumbleHank Tue May 26, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm not familiar with either of the shows mentioned, or watch too much reality TV. As an aside, for a few nights I stumbled on a network in the upper echelons of our cable called TruTV I think. They have a program that I thought was pretty funny that followed a brother and sister around that carried out auto repossessions. It was funny, but ultimately at the expense of the participants.

I remember a reality show on PBS called Frontier House that I don't even know whether it is still being produced. But I enjoyed watching the families respond to the scenarios and challenges of the pioneer lifestyle.

I suppose a family could gain something from participating in an experience such as these various reality programs, but I would view the entertainment that it gives the audience as a risk or cost to that experience. A family might be able to create the same effect by setting up a camcorder in the corner of the dining room or living room, or taking an extended family vacation with the intention of really shaking up the normal routine of life. I think that could be a positive thing, without the risk of public humiliation if things "get real".

Peace
HumbleHank
HumbleHank

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Hank's post reminded me

Post  cradlerc Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 pm

of how the other night, my husband and I cracked ourselves up thinking of how our lives would look as a reality tv show. The very premise, first of all, of two people who are clearly unable to cope with far less than 8 children would be good. Lots of people could relate to that. We'd be like the anti-Jon & Kate--instead of super-organized cubbies, they could watch us look for clean socks every blessed morning.

There are some family trips I've taken where I wouldn't mind having film reminders of today--but I'mnot sure it would be worth the public humiliation.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Hey, we look

Post  AustenFan Tue May 26, 2009 4:53 pm

for clean socks every blesssed morning and there are only three of us.

My husband insists socks end in up in some black hole no matter how many you buy.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty One wonders

Post  SursumCorda Wed May 27, 2009 1:24 pm

How "real" this show is -- at least, =I= wonder, after reading that TLC paid for Kate
Gosselin to get a tummy tuck and teeth whitening to the tune of almost $10,000.
That certainly seems to contradict the true notion of reality. :(
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

When TLC reality shows go bad. Empty Re: When TLC reality shows go bad.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down