Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room....

5 posters

Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist''s waiting room....

Post  HumbleHank Fri May 15, 2009 10:03 am

I was reading an article in ESPN magazine while I was waiting for my son at the orthodontist yesterday. The article was about how the internet has circumvented the big sports exclusives and stories that use to fill the sports sections of the newspaper and sports magazines. The two most noteworthy examples in sports were Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan. I hadn't really thought about it but in sports the leagues and teams are in control of the news that comes out of their organizations, and even many of the athletes now maintain their own websites and internet publicity firms.

So, sports journalism as it was 20 or 30 years ago is history. What we are left with what seems to be more under the category of tabloid journalism, is search of the latest scandal or personal failing. In fact, as I was reading it, it occurred to me that this phenomena is not just limited to sports journalism, but applies to journalistic coverage of religion and journalism in general.

I am 38, and feel as though I am in between the generations that are completely plugged into the rest of the world via the internet, and the generation that still sits down to read the evening newspaper and watch the evening news. I think this trend is probably detrimental to the older generation, in that they still turn to the traditional media outlets as a resource for current events. Less and less, that seems to be what they provide.

I think it remains to be seen what the affect is to the internet generation. At times, it seems as though there is almost too much information available through the internet. This topic could be a whole discussion in and of itself. I think it still remains to be seen as to whether the most pertinent stories of the day, facts and the truth will rise above all of the misinformation and distractions that occupy much of cyberspace.

Peace to you my brothers and sisters.
HumbleHank
HumbleHank

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Anticipation

Post  stihl Fri May 15, 2009 10:16 am

I am pushing 50 and, I am definitely a sit down with the paper and coffee in the morning kinda guy.

I also look forward to Thursday because Sports Illustrated shows up and I look forward to what's on the cover.

I obviously enjoy the 'net but, I also enjoy the anticaption and holding the copy in my hands. :bball: denver nuggets are looking good.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Print and electronic media

Post  SursumCorda Fri May 15, 2009 10:42 am

Those are astute observations about the effect of the Internet on journalism, Hank; I think you're right. I'm 41 and am of the "print will never die" school, although I, too, feel a bit caught between the two generations you mentioned. I much prefer a print newspaper (or magazine, book, etc.), although I can't deny that I get most of my regular (i.e., mainstream) news off the 'Net.

There definitely does seem to be more of an influence on scandal -- an almost fanatical search for personal or professional failings in well-known sports/entertainment/religious figures. It seems quite mean spirited.
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Okay, I''ll sound like Mister Crankypants saying this, but...

Post  VicarJoe Fri May 15, 2009 10:56 am

after reading Hank's posts and your replies, I couldn't help but think that part of what we're watching is the collapse of another cultural authority figure.

I noticed this when I would go to NY Times dot com or even look at yahoo news. The editors of newspapers and news services would choose what they regarded as the five top stories of the day, but they also started to include the five most e-mailed stories or the five highest rated by readers stories. And what I observed was this: what the editors and publishers thought were the important stories that were good for us were NEVER the same stories that people actually read, ranked highly, and forwarded to their friends.

Given the choice, people choose to read articles that the cultural gatekeepers would not themselves put forward as important or significant.

So maybe the difference is that the internet generation will each assemble their own individual "newspaper" out of the stories and sources they like.

Can you see the connection to religion?
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Re: Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room....

Post  SursumCorda Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 am

VicarJoe wrote:Can you see the connection to religion?

Yes, indeed -- good point. Neutral
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Re: Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room....

Post  SursumCorda Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 am

VicarJoe wrote:Can you see the connection to religion?

Yes, indeed -- good point. Neutral
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty This made me think of college students:

Post  cradlerc Fri May 15, 2009 5:43 pm

VicarJoe wrote: And what I observed was this: what the editors and publishers thought were the important stories that were good for us were NEVER the same stories that people actually read, ranked highly, and forwarded to their friends.

because I've been saddened watching us capitulate to the desires of what students find "relevant", when are whole purpose is to force them to grow to the point where big ideas re relevant to them.

I hadn't thought of it in terms of authority figures, but I think you're right, actually. It seems that part of the problem is getting people to actually recognize a real authority figure when they see one--so much of my time now, in writing classes, is spent on precisely this issue.

And it is, most definitely, connected to religion.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Rambling thoughts from the orthodontist's waiting room.... Empty Double post

Post  SursumCorda Fri May 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm sorry; I have no idea how or why my quick post from earlier today showed up twice. I'm always careful
to hit "Send" only once..... scratch
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum