Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie?

3 posters

Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty OK, so is anyone here a Lostie?

Post  cradlerc Thu May 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Because I'm just fascinated by the religious overtones of the show which were made explicit last night. It suddenly looked like Christianity versus paganism, with the Ben character as Judas.

Any takers? Very Happy
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty Sorry

Post  stihl Thu May 14, 2009 2:48 pm

I fell off part way through the season. The whole time warp thing was getting a bit convoluted. Kind of like the third Matrix movie.

I got my new advatar up so we didn't both have St. Francis.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty Re: OK, so is anyone here a Lostie?

Post  just4once Thu May 14, 2009 5:37 pm

I love the show. Both my husband and I watch it but.......each week we scratch our heads and wonder why. I'm quite a bit confused about the whole thing right now. My oldest son also watches it and I will usually talk on the phone with him about it the next day. He always seems to know what is going to happen next.

We have both floating the religious theme around a bit. I agree with you on the Ben character. I have my idea of who the 'imposter' Lock is.
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty Oooo, tell me, who?

Post  cradlerc Thu May 14, 2009 5:44 pm

One theory I've read floated around is that the smoke is Cerberus, the Egyptian god of the dead (is that the Egyptian god of the dead? I don't even know). I'm wondering why Jacob said to the fake Locke, "You found the loophole"--it must mean he's the same as the guy who was talking to Jacob in the beginning, saying how much he wanted to kill Jacob. So Ben's the loophole, somehow. And then there was all that business where the two of them are watching the ship, and the stranger says "they always come and do the same thing, kill each other," and Jacob says something about the possibility for a new outcome. And then Rose and her husband in the forest--are they end Jacob keeps hoping for?

It's reminiscent to me of Narnia--first with the whole lamppost station (like in the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe), and then the stabbing and burning of Jacob. I find it interesting that, so far at least, the pagan imagery is associated iwth evil while Jacob (of the Bible, Jacob?) seems good. Maybe--although what was the business about giving people gifts in the last episode?
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Post  just4once Thu May 14, 2009 5:46 pm

By the way stihl, I'm never good with the time travel idea. I get to wrapped up and think too much. Last night, I kept wondering that if they died in 1977, which is really their present but is actually in the past, would they still be alive in the present if the plane landed safely. Made my head hurt just a bit Laughing
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty I''ve always wondered

Post  cradlerc Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 pm

if we would find out that time travel is impossible because we're somehow, physically, rooted in our own time--that it has some property that actually interact with our physical makeup. Could you really go back to a time that you yourself existed in--would your body double in that way? My guess is no, it doesn't. And I think it raises really interesting questions about embodiment, and who we are as human beings.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Post  just4once Thu May 14, 2009 5:55 pm

I haven't figured out how to quote on here yet, so I'll copy and paste.

You think the same as I do "-it must mean he's the same as the guy who was talking to Jacob in the beginning,"

I think the fake Locke is the guy from the beginning of the show, ( I hope you didn't think I had a particular name in mind). Maybe the loophole is somehow connected to dead people???? Whatever or whomever this person is he can only use the form of dead people.<shrug>
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty Gifts?

Post  just4once Thu May 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Do you mean the pen and the lunch box? The more I think about it the more I get confused Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just think, we have to wait until 2010 to see how it ends Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty Yes, I thought it was interesting

Post  cradlerc Fri May 15, 2009 11:06 pm

that objects were exchanged with key people, including the guitar case that Hurley ends up with, and the snack from the vending machine he tosses to Jack. It seemed important that all of them accepted something from Jacob's hand. I kept thinking of that in connection with the big Egyptian statue in the first scene.

It also seemed to resonate a little with Peter Pan and the island of the lost boys (someone I know pointed out that the island actually calls the boys to it in the novel) and with The Tempest--probably because of that ship in the first scene, which reminded me of the colonial overtones of Shakespeare's play.

Obviously, I have more time on my hands than I think I do!
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty I read where that statue is

Post  just4once Sun May 17, 2009 9:08 pm

the Egyptian goddess Taweret. Are you familiar with this god? Some interesting connections if that statue does turn out to be Taweret.

Also, what I found interesting was they seemed to focus on Jacob touching those who he had visited. Wonder if this means anything. Well, I'm sure it does, everything means something on this show. Rolling Eyes
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

OK, so is anyone here a Lostie? Empty Hmm, no, but I will be looking that goddess up!

Post  cradlerc Sun May 17, 2009 11:32 pm

And today I rememberd something else, which was that Jacob was reading Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor. Since she's a Catholic writer, and her book is all about misfits and epiphanies and finding God.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum