Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus"

2 posters

Go down

"Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus" Empty "Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus"

Post  stihl Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I finally finished this book. I got bogged down for awhile. It didn't read as easy as "How the Irish Saved Civilizaition".

I have fansinated with Early Christianity for sometime and, this seemed like a good book on the subject. It covers alot and maybe that is part of the problem, it is big topic and should be taken in smaller bites.

I liked the comparisons of the Gospels and really enjoyed the disertation on John and the discription of the Johannian Church. An interesting hypothesis regarding a connection between the Christology developed in John and the Shroud of Turin.

A couple of favorite quotes from the book: "Hell is full of people that wouldn't help the poor, not those that slept in the wrong bed." and, "Christ was the Gospel". sunny
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

"Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus" Empty I got bogged down in it too

Post  cradlerc Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:27 am

never quite finished it. What does it say about the shroud?

As for Christ was the Gospel: It makes me think of the passage (of course I can;t remember which one) when jesus is preaching at home, reads the scroll, and says "this is being fulfilled in your presence"--essentially, he's referring to Isaiah and saying "I AM the jubilee year." It gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes--as does the passage when Peter leaps from the boat and runs to the shore to find Christ after the Resurrection.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

"Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus" Empty The Shroud...

Post  stihl Tue May 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Cahill basically states the same evidence that has recently been aired (the CSI type stuff). What I found interesting is the tie-in to the Johnaian Church. The Johnaian Church was the church located in the Holy Land following the death and resurrection. These were Jews that attempted to remain in the Temple and still believe in Christ. Things came to a head and the Jews barred them from the Temple, deeply wounding the Johnians.

The Shroud connects to the Johnains through the disiple John (the one that Jesus loved best). In the gospel of John, it was the disiple John that showed up to the empty tomb with Peter to find the empty wrappings. Apparrently, John picked up the wrappings as a keepsake. The church that evolved following the disiple John got pocession of the wrapping, which is the shroud.

If you still have the book, go the last couple of chapters. That part of the book is an read.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

"Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus" Empty Thanks, I will.

Post  cradlerc Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I'll check out those chapters, now that I have a little time to read!
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

"Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus" Empty Re: "Desire of the Everlasting Hills, the World before and After Jesus"

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down