tap, tap, is this thing on?

Go down

tap, tap, is this thing on?

Post  stihl on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 am

(Sound of tapping on a microphone). Hey everybody, I guess we all get in these cycles, Joe, I can relate. I will check out your blog. I too share your concerns.

I haven't read a book in awhile, I am now reading "The World before and After Jesus, the desire of the everlasting hills" by Thomas Cahill. From his hinges of history series.

So far, it is an excellent book. I appreciate putting Christ into the historical context of the world he was born into and the change He formented.

I also started (and stopped and started) reading "The 5,000 Year Leap". I am a great proponent of taking stock of what the world was like when the United States came into being. I don't think folks have enough appreciation of just how crappy this World was. That being said, the book is not well written, but the subject is important.

I did read "Confederates in the Attic", a fun and interesting book that deals with South's perception of the Civil War. One thing I found shocking was the attitudes of blacks that were interviewed, their belief that the Civil War was a disagreement between white people and was not about slavery (similar to the attitudes of Southern Whites). Anybody that doesn't think Slavery was the base issue of the Civil War should have their head examined.

Anyhooo, hi to all of you, I expect we will reconnect as the snow piles up. Peace and God's Blessing to you all.
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi stihl!

Post  cradlerc on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Good to "see" you! I started the Cahill book but never finished it; maybe I'll try again since you're saying you like it. I haven't even heard of the 5,000 year leap--what is it about?
cradlerc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

5000 year leap

Post  stihl on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 pm

I haven't finished it yet but, it puts the emergence of America into the broader context of World history. One thing I apreciated (and had already thought about) is distinguishing the difference between partisain politics and governance along a continum between tyranny and anarchy. I like to think of it as developing a third demension to politic thinking.

We have become so indoctinated into thinking of politics in partisain terms that we forget either party can have elements that can become tyrannical. John Adams predicted this along time ago, that if persue agendas in the interest of parties, it will destroy our society .
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: tap, tap, is this thing on?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down