Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day?

2 posters

Go down

You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day? Empty You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day?

Post  cradlerc Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:48 pm

http://www.blasphemyday.com/

Apprently, the answer is yes--it was yesterday, celebrated in Washington with artistic works, such as one that depicts Jesus doing his nails in red polish. Quite a brain trust they've got going here--as bastion of wit! Nail polish! That's a knee-slapper!

Also, they don't want to offend anyone, but if it happens, it happens. And you know what? I'm completely cool with that, and I know that if womeone were to refer to them, say, as adolescent hammer-bags whose sense of satire is apparently as truncated as their overall intellect, they'd have no problem with that. And a creche on my lawn? They'd embrace it, of course!

They remind me of Faustus, with his parlor-tricks and sad little bedeviled life.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day? Empty International Blasphemy Day

Post  magyar1 Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:44 am

Laws against blasphemy are decidedly not an exclusively medieval phenomenon. There have been successful prosecutions in England well within my lifetime, and I seem to remember a successful prosecution in Massachusetts.

The point is not that the government necessarily has a state religion, but that open blasphemy can easily become an incitement to riot - which is itself, therefore, illegal - and which cannot be excused on the basis of freedom of religion.

The legal doctrine of freedom of religion means that everyone has the right to select, practice, or change his or her own religion - and in the USA that the government is constitutionally forbidden to have an "Established Church". No one is required to have any religion. But no one has the right to make a public mockery of someone else's religion.
magyar1
magyar1

Back to top Go down

You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day? Empty I suppose, though, that they do have the right

Post  cradlerc Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:36 pm

as long as it doesn't bleed into an incitement to riot, as you pointed out.

My only problem with this kind of thing is that, in general, I've found that those most likely to complain about, say, folks at WalMart wishing them "Merry Christmas" are also the ones who embrace things like Blasphemy Day.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day? Empty Re: You mean I missed International Blasphemy Day?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum