Kennedy, Healthcare and Purgatory

Go down

Kennedy, Healthcare and Purgatory

Post  AustenFan on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 am

Some interesting reflections by The Anchoress, a RC blogger. Scroll a quarter of the way down to a picture of a much younger Ted Kennedy with the reflection following:

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/

And on a political note, for which I hope I will forgiven, I am glad I do not have T.V. since that means I will will the lionization of Kennedy, who I think was an advocate for a number of good things, but was a man of many flaws. We are all people of many flaws; I just don't have the same ones he did. At any rate, I think his death will be used to push through Obam'as health care program. Obama will give a eulogy which 90% of which he will not have written himself, people will talk about the end of an era and start saying "We must have health care in memory of good old Ted." Well, "good old Ted" drank too much, was overweight and had cancer. His cancer medication cost about $34,000 a year. Under Obama's plan if he had not been a Senator with excellent health coverage he would probably not have been approved by a panel for such treatment. For the record, I think healthcare needs an overhaul, I just am very skeptical of the government taking it over and it seems to be missing vital things like tort reform and necessitates the governement way too much personal information of people.
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I don't think it will have that effect

Post  VicarJoe on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am

I don't think they'll honor him with the public option. He had real friends in the senate, close friends, in men like John McCain and (of all people) Orrin Hatch. They really did love Teddy, but they're not about to honor him by throwing away their own principles. That doesn't even really do him honor.
VicarJoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I liked this paragraph:

Post  cradlerc on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:40 pm

"Thankfully, God knows more, and sees more, than the rest of us, because eventually we’ll all need to count on his mercy, as we face his justice. For all that we know of Kennedy, there is much we do not know. A family member who works with the very poor once told me that when he was in a real fix and unable to find help for, for instance, a sick child in need of surgery, a phone call to Kennedy’s office would set the “Irish Mafia” of professional people -doctors, lawyers, pilots and such- into brisk motion. I think an examination of the life of every “great” person (and I mean “great” in terms of power and influence) will expose deep flaws and surprising episodes of generosity."

May God have mercy on his soul, and, in the words of the liturgy, "on all who have gone to rest in the hope of rising again."

I was interested in the link that noted that Jesse Jackson, Al Gore and Ted Kennedy all counted themsleves as pro-life at one time. I think that what has happened to many Democrats is that they want to embrace so much of what the party stands for that they mentally tiptoe around abortion, embracing the idea that we can somehow eliminate it while still allowing it to remain legal. I know, because I used to feel that way myself. And some probably feel like it's a lost cause, so let's get done what we can with the flawed system we have.

Like I said elsewhere here, I'm not quite sure what to think about Obama's health care plan. I would like to see tort reform; I doubt very much that it will happen. I think we will continue to lurch along, as we tend to do here in America, waddling alternately to the left as then to the right, as we also tend to do. I think that most people do not want to see grandma euthanized to save money; it doesn't mean it won't happen, or that it hasn't already. But at the same time, Americans don't tend to buy into soem of the loftier excesses we're seeing in European countries; on the ground, we often pride ourselves on being stubborn and earthy. We can't forget how many people wanted to see Terry Schiavo live, for example, as much as we need to be frightened that they lost.
cradlerc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Error

Post  AustenFan on Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:34 pm

The cancer drug used to treat Kennedy, Avastin, cost $340, 000 a year-not $34, 000
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A few thoughts on Ted Kennedy's Funeral

Post  HumbleHank on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:55 am

Putting politics and national health care aside for a moment, I appreciated watching the funeral mass, and listening to the eulogies given by his sons and President Obama.

Mostly it was the first time I really got a palpable sense of the humanity of Ted Kennedy. Listening to his sons share how their father had inspired them and a few of the more memorable moments that they shared, created for me, an opportunity to reflect on the relationship I have with my own father and sons.

With regards to the relationship with my own father throughout my life, it gave me pause to think about what a patient and faithful man he was and is to this day. Particularly in moments of adversity or when life isn't going as planned, his patience and faith while working through those moments has always been the beacon of God's light guiding our family through those situations. I feel so blessed to have him as my father, as was the message I got from the Kennedy family as they reflected on their own father.

And viewing the funeral also inspired me as a father to find the strength to rise to the occasions of adversity within my own family and be a source of inspiration for my boys.

President Obama spoke the one sentence that resonated the most with me. It put a finger on the essence of what I found inspiring about the life of Ted kennedy. “The greatest expectations were placed upon Ted Kennedy's shoulders because of who he was, but he surpassed them all because of who he became.”

Peace my Brothers and Sisters.
HumbleHank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I was also touched

Post  cradlerc on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:21 pm

by the story his son told of when he was first learning to use his artficial leg. And I also reflected on the times I have NOT been a pitient or kind mother to my children. In fact, I sometimes channel far too much of my own father's impatience and anger than I would have hoped.

Your father sounds like a wonderful man, Hank. What a wonderful role model.
cradlerc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kennedy, Healthcare and Purgatory

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down