Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Since it got deleted over there

2 posters

Go down

Since it got deleted over there Empty Since it got deleted over there

Post  VicarJoe Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 pm

I thought I'd share this here. Just because it was amusing.

Agent86 wrote: Not so long ago, Catholics were absolutely discouraged from reading the Bible. Only a priest could tell you what it said. I have a very good memory.

I said: The claim that Catholics weren't supposed to read the Bible is manure.

Agent: Catholics were provided with Catholic reading materials, the Bible was absolutely discouraged up until the late 1950’s. In fact that was even taught in Catechism classes.

Joe: I have the Baltimore catechism from that era, and it says no such thing, and I have several Catholic Bibles from that period, including Ronald Knox's translation.

Agent: New advice to Catholics: Read the Bible, prayerfully. The fact is Catholics before the 1950’s were discouraged from reading the bible…. I know that you can pretend otherwise all you like.

Joe: Pope Benedict writes in his encyclical Spiritus Paraclitus:

Hence, as far as in us lies, we, Venerable Brethren, shall, with St. Jerome as our guide, never desist from urging the faithful to read daily the Gospels, the Acts and the Epistles, so as to gather thence food for their souls.44. Our thoughts naturally turn just now to the Society of St. Jerome, which we ourselves were instrumental in founding; its success has gladdened us, and we trust that the future will see a great impulse given to it.

The object of this Society is to put into the hands of as many people as possible the Gospels and Acts, so that every Christian family may have them and become accustomed to reading them. This we have much at heart, for we have seen how useful it is. We earnestly hope, then, that similar Societies will be founded in your dioceses and affiliated to the parent Society here.

(I admit, I could have mentioned which Benedict and the date of the encyclical, but I was feeling a bit playful.)

Agent: Encouraged to read the Bible, that is relatively new, the current Pope’s statement is testament of recent change in that regard.

Popes before 1960 did NOT encourage Bible reading AT ALL unless by Bible Scholars willing to accept direction from the Church on how to interpret what they read.

Popes of the past didn’t even trust Scholars to get it right, they certainly didn’t encourage the laity to even try. You mistake the Pope’s words of encouragement to apply to the laity … it never did, until after 1960 that is.

Benedict? Well yes, he is following through on Vatican II. His post 1960 words actually attest to change.

(Got that? Benedict's words attest to the change.)

Joe: This is clearly about the laity--"so that every Christian family may have them and become accustomed to reading them"

I maybe could have mentioned that I was quoting Pope Benedict XV (1854-1922), an encyclical published in 1920, not Benedict XVI (the current pope). Oops!

Since it got deleted over there 598867
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Since it got deleted over there Empty Joe, that's awesome.

Post  cradlerc Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:17 am

I loved the one about the Baltimore catechism, where agent said, yes! they're talking about primitives on some island!!

Really? People who are unaware of [b]the truth of the Catholic church/b] live only on islands?

Cuz I think I share a pew with several of them, myself. I wasn't aware that the words really meant that only people who unaware of the existence of the church were excused from joining it.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Since it got deleted over there Empty I saw that and had a good laugh

Post  VicarJoe Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 am

Because of course a passage that actually also mentions later-generation protestants MUST be about south seas islanders.

I've never seen anyone so committed to deconstructing his own supposed church as agent, and never anyone quite so incompetent to do so. Rolling Eyes
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Since it got deleted over there Empty Re: Since it got deleted over there

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum