AshleyMadison

Go down

AshleyMadison

Post  SursumCorda on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:06 pm

I must be very naive. I was totally shocked to read an article saying that people can now access
the AshleyMadison, um, "dating agency," via their cell phones. For those of you who haven't heard
of AshleyMadison, it's a service that allows married men and women (or men and woman in a
committed relationship) find another person in their geographical area so they can have an affair.
The cell phone article emphasized that now you can do this and leave no trace on your computer
for your spouse to find. How amazing and wonderful technology is!

Sadly, business seems to be going quite well. Apparently this company has been around for at
least two or three years. I didn't really have the heart to peruse the entire site
(http://www.ashleymadison.com). I must have my head in the sand, because this was the first
time I'd heard of it.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.
SursumCorda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'd never heard of this

Post  VicarJoe on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 am

but I can't say it surprises me. When I was in my twenties, living in a pretty big city, I used to very much enjoy reading the personal ads in the local weekly. I found them sometimes kinda charming, sometimes a little pathetic. Some were very creative, some were awful. But my overall impression was of people who were romantic trying to find some romance, so you wanted to cheer for them. If they were a little goofy, they were also a little sweet and silly.

Not too long ago, I was selling some household goods, and my dad recommended I post an ad on craigslist. I'd never been there, but since the ads are free to post, I thought I'd give it a try. I noticed they had personal ads, so I clicked on them to read a few. (This is the part of the story where the really awful atheists would insinuate that I was "cruising" the personals, not just reading them for a giggle.)

It's kind of appalling. Here are the first few ads under "casual encounters":

"Mrs Thirsts For Jocks - w4m - 33"

"looking for guys into kink - m4m"

"Just a hello. do me... and goodbye - w4m"

"Looking for casual sex - m4w - 36"

"single nympho looking to try new things?? - w4m"

"daytime fun - 42"

That's just the first few ads for June 29, and there are dozens of them already (it's only 8:30am). Syracuse is not a big city, either.

Under "men seeking women" and "women seeking men" (where the ads aren't always specifically looking for casual sex), there is exactly one ad under each category. So that's dozens of people seeking casual sex for each one party looking for a relationship.

Now you might think that because there are gay ads under "casual encounters," that "men seeking men" would look like "men seeking women" (i.e., few ads and less smutty). Not quite. There are many more ads under the gay categories than under the straight ones, and they are most of them actually too filthy to share here.

"Lookin to ____ a young guy - 18"

"is there anyone still up who would like to get off - 31 - (central square) pic"

"late night /early AM hotel - 43 - (e syracuse)"

And for those that include pics, well, they're not facial pics if you get my drift.

So there's apparently been some kind of sea change in our culture where the "hook-up" ethos of your sleazier college campuses has infected the wider society. People post pictures of their genitals online in advertisements to meet for anonymous sex with strangers. To suggest that this is morally repugnant is to be judgmental, of course. And if you are interested enough to know what kind of cultural degradation is happening, you must secretly want to join the party--that is, anyone who takes a serious look at barbarism must be a closeted barbarian himself.

These are not your father's personal ads, to say the least. That a site is dedicated to people exploring adultery is hardly the worst thing out there, but it's certainly disgusting.
VicarJoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum