Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom of Speech on the defensive yet again

2 posters

Go down

Freedom of Speech on the defensive yet again Empty Freedom of Speech on the defensive yet again

Post  VicarJoe Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:41 am

Warning: this is a political post, albeit one informed by my fear of the whiff of totalitarianism that is coming off some folks these days, and my awareness that the church is always under siege when the state becomes a god.

Recently, in California, a person was asked the following question about the fiscal crisis in the state: "How do you think conservative talk radio has affected the Legislature's work?"

Her answer: "The Republicans were essentially threatened and terrorized against voting for revenue. Now [some] are facing recalls. They operate under a terrorist threat: "You vote for revenue and your career is over." I don't know why we allow that kind of terrorism to exist. I guess it's about free speech, but it's extremely unfair."

Got that? Some in talk radio said that raising taxes was the wrong approach to solving the fiscal problems of the state and that any member of the GOP who voted for a hike in taxes should be voted out of office. (California in fact already has the fourth highest tax burden in the country, which is certainly one of the reasons it is losing people and businesses already.)

Saying that self-proclaimed small government conservatives shouldn't vote to increase the tax burden is, according to the speaker, tantamount to terrorism.

TERRORISM!

Why do we have to allow people the right to express their views? "I don't know why...it's extremely unfair."

Anyway, for the record, this was not some whacked out dailykos extremist blogger speaking. It was Karen Bass, Speaker of the California Assembly.

Creepy!

What a Face
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Freedom of Speech on the defensive yet again Empty Hypcrisy

Post  SursumCorda Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:58 am

The hypocrisy of some people (viz., liberals) never ceases to amaze me. They think
anyone should be able to do anything, until someone disagrees. The irony
always seems to escape them, too.
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum