"What Dreams May Come"

Go down

"What Dreams May Come"

Post  stihl on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:01 pm

I haven't seen this movie in a long time. I starred Robbin Williams. I am bringing it up now because I see a connection between the movie and Lewis's "Great Divorce". Namely, our frame of mind when we leave this world will greatly affect our ability to reach God.

In the movie, Robbins is killed and goes to "heaven" and waits for his wife. She is so overcome by grief and commits suicide. When she goes to the afterlife she is basically in Hell. She was so wound up in herself, she couldn't see anything else. She could not let go of herself.

The thing I find intriquing about "The Great Divorce" and "What Dreams May Come", Hell isn't so much a place of punishment as it is a place where you put yourself based on your frame of mind. The more deeply you have invested in that frame of mind, the less likely you will find your way clear of it.

Last edited by stihl on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Your last

Post  BelievHUman on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 pm

paragraph pretty well sums up my perception of 'Hell'.

I have no rational thought that can accept a permanent punishment.

I think a Just Higher Power is one who required exact payment for ones actions.
BelievHUman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

In "The Great Divorce"....

Post  stihl on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:13 pm

....Lewis suggests that everybody pays the exact same price to join God, ourselves.

It's funny that we are raised with the image of getting poked in the ass by a demon with a pitch fork for all of eternity. It more like not getting to go to the ice cream store because we won't apologize to our brother for kicking him in the nuts. ouch.
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "What Dreams May Come"

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum