Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Jackson

5 posters

Go down

Michael Jackson Empty Michael Jackson

Post  stihl Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am

Kind of a shock.

Watching the news this morning, Matt Lauer had on guests that were lamenting the loss and recounting the emmense talent.

Then he had on a reporter from Vanity Fair. The first thing she talked about was the wake of destruction Jackson left in his wake. The children, now adults, that had accomodate his sexual abuse. She also brought up the hundreds of thousands of dollars Jackson spent to put voodoo curses on his enemies. Blood rituals. This is about the time Ol' Matt cut her off.

Matt wanted to stress that Jackson's provclevaties came about because he was a vicitm of success. The lady tried to explain that Jackson made choices. I think that exchange pretty much sums up the two world views.

I hope there was something in Jackson that will lead him to Peace.

The more I see stories like this, the more prophetic the "Lord of the Rings" seems to be. No matter how strong or good any of us think that we are, "the ring" (whether it be good-looks, intellect, musical talent, charm) has the ability to turn us from God.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty good post

Post  AsADeerPants Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:30 pm

You are on target on the LOTR remarks

Most forums posters and TV commentators have been respectful. I agree with being respectful. I don't have a problem with someone being critical of MJ even presently. He made his bed let him lay in it. (The bed being his fame)

Also I do think we have to face controversial side of MJ. If not this week then the next.

I am remind me of a political cartoon about Richard Nixon's passing. The cartoon had a tombstone that said "Here LIES Richard Nixon". Regardless of how feels about Nixon, he made his bed too.
AsADeerPants
AsADeerPants

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty The camel and the needle

Post  stihl Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Hey Deerpants,

Forgive me if this was posted before. The scripture that says it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven, is the same cautionary tale.

Remember where your gifts came from.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty I haven't seen more than two minutes of coverage

Post  VicarJoe Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:26 pm

and a couple of news articles online, but I've been a bit disappointed with the fawning nature of the coverage. I think, in a weird way, MJ is symptomatic of the media culture pushed to the Nth degree--the infantilism, the fear of aging, the sense that artists get a pass to behave in degenerate ways, the celebration of transgression, the allowance that we make for success (so that wealth or fame somehow ameliorate criminality), the fixation on pop stars as if they were anything more than entertainers, the creation and subsequent destruction of icons. It's almost as if they can't criticize him because he's a mirror image of what they themselves sell to us day in and day out.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty Follow-up: apparently nothing else is happening in the world

Post  VicarJoe Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:41 am

"Noteworthy from Friday night's broadcast network evening newscasts which, a day after his death, spent 95 percent of their air time on Michael Jackson -- all but 1:03 of ABC's approximate 22 minutes was devoted to Jackson, all but 34 seconds of CBS and all but 1:22 of NBC, for 2:59, less than three minutes in total for all news beyond Jackson."
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty I can't say I'm surprised at the reaction.

Post  just4once Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:50 am

While I can mourn the loss of talent, I can't mourn the source of that talent. I'm finding all the adulation rather disgusting.
just4once
just4once

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty It certainly does seem overdone...

Post  SursumCorda Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 pm

I mourn the loss, too -- he was extraordinarily talented. But he was, after all, a mere
mortal like we all are. The consant, fawning coverage is getting more than a little nauseating.
SursumCorda
SursumCorda

Back to top Go down

Michael Jackson Empty Re: Michael Jackson

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum