Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting op ed

5 posters

Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Interesting op ed

Post  AustenFan Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:12 pm

Related to the question of whether God is a figment of the imagination or whether brain chemistry actually reflects an encounter with the divine.

My opinion is that God sends out signals, analogous to the radio mentioned in the op-ed, and that some people like Dawkins and Hitchens and Bert have their dials turned down so low that they are unable to receive the signals. And if you don't want to receive the signals-and consciously block them-for whatever reason- you won't.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/06/the-god-choice.html
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Re: Interesting op ed

Post  BelievHUman Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:55 pm

I absolutely believe that Spirit communicates with us via reception within the brain.

The concept of the brain being like a radio receiver for our conscious thought has been my thought
for a long time, and is consistent with many spiritual beliefs, including the light and sound teaching I am so familiar with.

The function of our entire being is based on this format of thought, Soul (of God) speaks to mind, which process the signal, comes to a conclusion and sends the signal via the Brain to the body to create action.

The entire goal is to teach the mind to correctly process what Soul is saying in order to produce correct actions.

IMMHO
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Oh, I get some signals

Post  Thereforeiam Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:39 pm

but there often is too much static to clearly hear and understand. However, signals of righteousness and altruism are crystal clear almost all the time. Funny that!
Thereforeiam
Thereforeiam

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Well, Therefore

Post  AustenFan Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:49 pm

with all due respect, because I really like you and find you an interesting, intelligent man, I think you have a need to have all the inner workings of the radio explained to your intellectual satisfaction before you can get and truly enjoy the music. I am appreciative of intellectual things, but sometimes too much thinking and analysis can get in the way.
AustenFan
AustenFan

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty With returned respect,

Post  BelievHUman Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 am

I have to say that I have definitely done the intense analytical thinking over the years. Eventually, I reached the point where I no longer spend much time questioning the how's and whys' of the function of things, physically and Spiritually.

I did have a point where the questioning got beyond my ability to stop and comprehend, but not these days.
I have given over all my thoughts and actions to God, thus I do not spend to much time on the subject internally.

While I have been exercising the mental precepts with our atheist friends, I don't put a huge
amount of effort into 'rethinking the plumbing' as it were. I am pretty satisfied with my understanding of
higher functions, BUT, I am always open to new concepts.

:-)
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty For whatever reason

Post  VicarJoe Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:31 am

my browser will NOT let me open your link, AFan. I tried all dang day yesterday, and just a minute ago. But it sounds like an interesting piece. Or I should say, that's an interesting analogy. I have a distinct memory of the first time I made a real effort to pick up God's signal--it was December, 1998, to be exact. Before that attempt, I had sought, of course. But I had sought with a different feeling or motivation. I had wanted to have God tell me He was there to sate my curiosity, to answer my question of whether He existed. In late '98, I sought God at a moment I needed healing, a moment I needed God. And that's when I found Him. So I wonder if it's not just a willingness to hear the signal, but a disposition--a discovery--of needing God.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Human, something to re-think...

Post  stihl Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:47 am

Human, I have followed with interest your go-round with the atheists (and round and round).

It is interesting that the phrasing you used in your last post about "not re-thinking the plumbing" is where I am at now. Of course after dabling in various areas of spriritualism, I have landed squarely back into theism. Before that, I did not understand nor appreciate the difference between theism and pantheism.

What we have in common is a belief in something greater than ourselves. Our difference is whether or not that something is wholly contained within the physical universe or completely outside it. Also, the whether spirital force emits from an entity or, the spritual force is the entity.

For me, anyway, searching for the answer came down to this, "stop looking for the answer that suits myself and start looking for what is real."

I know if I posted that line on another forum, it would get ripped apart because, folks on the other forums can't seperate "real" from "physical".

What is "real" can't be measured, but is can be observed. What we can observe is US and our collective human history. Behavior and ideas that are counter-natural. What has been called the Tao, the baisc morality that humans continue to gravitate toward.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Hey, stihl

Post  BelievHUman Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 am

Glad to hear that I have an audience to see what is happening. That can be a harsh group.

Just so we are clear, when I talk about Spiritual, I am not reference to psychic, or crystal or any of the paraphernalia associated. I am only talking about our existence and relationship with God.

I acknowledge Soul as our true being and the mind and body as 'tools' to live in this realm. Souls, which is the spark of God within us, is outside time and space and requires 'interface' to communicate, thus the 'plumbing'.

Where confusion comes into play for many is that in Panentheism, God is both without and within, all parts of the whole. While there is a focus on the higher energy that is god, that energy manifests within each as well.
All part of the same, does this make sense?

It is this that is meant by the 'father within'.

For our atheist friends, I only try to explain the spiritual life is part of our existence and we will continue to advance, belief in God or not.

Any comment I make over there that is not scientifically proven is immediately denied, most have list the ability for subjective thought. A lot seems to be focused on Christianity in particular. Quite the hurt feelings in some.
BelievHUman
BelievHUman

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Human, I didn't think...

Post  stihl Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:39 pm

you were reffering to crystals and psychics, I wouldn't have slammed you if you were.

I notice you try to walk a fence between the two fourms. On the AN forum you reffer to a scientific basis for your believes and the Law of Vibration. In your last post here, you talk about the soul being out of space and time. Here is the problem:

If you are talking about wavelengths of energy, that energy is subject to space and time. Enerygy and wave lengths are measured in time and distance. If something is out of space and time, it can't be energy in the sense that we understand it. This idea may appeal to the atheists because with it comes the possibility of measuring it and controlling it.

That the "father" is in all is a premise that I already understood about Panetheism (sp). Being a theist I don't believe there is a little bit of God the Father in everything (actually anything). I belieive we as humans all have the potential to feel God's "vibration".

One thing I might add is this; I have put away the image of God being the "Old Man on the Throne". That is something we were told as kids because, how else do you begin to explain that which is without time? Heck, with kids I have a hard enough time explaining "next week".
Even the idea of the fate of Eternal Damnation isn't entirely accurate. It is what is told to 10-year-olds to get them through a period of their life when natural urges may overwhelm them.

The other thing I would add is this, there may be some "honest atheist" out there but, I haven't seen many. When you state your belief that there is something greater then yourself, you have created an affront to the atheist. What they hear is, "It's not all about you". You have stepped on their pride. You have seen that they will expend a hug amount of energy defending that pride.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Well, Marion

Post  Thereforeiam Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:31 am

you are probably correct, at least in part but I believe you misinterpret what I said. Knowledge of the workings of the radio are important but sometimes static in the sound of the music makes the experience bewildering. Maybe Screwtape is giving me his best shot!!
Thereforeiam
Thereforeiam

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty What's the frequency Kenneth....

Post  stihl Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 am

...remember the Dan Rather incident? I don't why I wrote that but, it always cracked me up.

Joe, my first time was in 1981, although reflecting back on it, it may have been something akin to a runners high. I was riding a bike back from work (I was in good shape back then) when a rush came over me like I was connected to everything around me, everything.

That experience kept me in the fight, so to speak, for the Truth.

Having spent a number of years in the HAC mode, close to being agnostic, I finally dropped the need for God being what I wanted Him to be. I started the search anew, trying to see God (if he existed) for what He was. In other words I was finally looking for the Truth (capital "T") or, reality.

I read "Screwtape" and it was like the tumblers in a lock lying up and hearing the "click". It was OK to abandon my 10-year-old notion of Faith and see it for what it was.

Now, the feeling, (the sense, the vibration), doesn't feel like a rush, it feels like contentment, a weight off my sholders, a direction to go, a reason for being, a connection to everybody that has ever lived, a sense that now is eternity.

By the way Austen, thanks for starting this thread.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Interesting op ed Empty Re: Interesting op ed

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum