Athiest Nation

Go down

Athiest Nation

Post  stihl on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:10 am

I mentioned in another post that somebody, mocking me, posted a link to an athiest website on cleveland.com.

So, I thought, what the heck, why not visist it. They have a little different format in that they have set areas of topics you post under, like "Ask a theist" or "Arguments to beat a theist".

What I found interesting, and proves out a theory presented here, it is definitely a younger crowd over there, maybe 15 to 30.

The other thing that is interesting is some of the posters talk about attending Church as kids and deciding it was false, empty, conflicted, ect.... At least a couple of them made their "decison" at the age of 10 or 12.

I wouldn't recommend posting there. However, it is interesting to observe the younger generation floating around trying to grasp onto something. If you hit the introduction page, you will recognize a few "new" members.
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's trendy, and cool

Post  AustenFan on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:39 am

for young people to rebel against religion. They think they are blazing a completely new path when Atheism has been around a long time.

And admittedly they don't like the hypocrisy in the church and are still quite idealistic. There was the brother of a girl in our Congregation (she was just confirmed ) who is a militant Atheist and made her life at home miserable. At 16 he thinks he's an expert on Church History and the Bible having read Atheist sites. She said to me "The Church hated and oppressed women" according to my brother. Really? I asked her. While there is a strain of misogyny and sexism in the church perhaps your brother didn't read enough Church History and the Bible enough, because Paul commends women workers in the church. I fact, he places Priscilla's name before her husband Aquila which is a sign of a token of respect. Women gave money to support the ministry. The Roman Culture sneeringly referred to Christianity as a religion of women and slaves. I guess that means that women aprecaited a religion where it was Paul said, "In Christ there is neither male nor female..." This is say nothing of Jesus who conversed with women and healed them in ways that appalled the Pharisees and oher religious leaders. I also sent quotes to the girl Confirmands from women very involved in the early Methodist movement. In the 1700's they could not be ordained but Wesley encouraged them as class leaders, Spiritual Guides and in many other areas

Also, these fervent Atheists are often Fundamentalist Atheists. They sometimes grow up to be people like Bert who doesn't understand the diifferent types of literature in the Bible and doesn't read it contextually.

When the Militant Atheist teen age Brother came to the Confirmation service-under duress I'm sure- I just looked at him smiled and said. warmly. "God bless you." I got a little bit of satisfactionon hoping that it annoyed him slightly, but I really do wish him , hop that God will bless him and hope he gets off his sister's back.
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Whoops...

Post  AustenFan on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:43 am

Meant, that I really do wish and well and hope that God will bless him.

Oh, yes, the 25-30 year olds haven't been in the church since they were Confirmed, so they really know a lot about what goes on. They base their entire view on what the media reports and we know how supportive mianstream media is to organized religion. Some of them may also regard Obama as the secular messiah. Rolling Eyes
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I have done

Post  BelievHUman on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:53 am

a few posts there and I must say that they are an interesting group.

Looks to be quite a bit younger even than me.

Didn't take long to attempt to trash me as much as any other who has a concept of God.
Tough subject if you require Physical Proof.

I do really feel most where hurt by religion in some form, whether Physically or just the rebellious
disinterest in authority via Religion.

My attempts were just to raise the point that there is more to a Higher Power than just Religion.
BelievHUman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am sure they are

Post  AustenFan on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:01 pm

an interesting and probably intelligent group. I am just bored out of my gourd by people who want to trash me or others for simply believing in God, and would rather not go there.

And there is more to belief in a higher power than one type of black/whilte view of organized religion.
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I hear you

Post  BelievHUman on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:22 pm

AustenFan, and the comment was very General.

There seems to be much hate built up in some.

I just want to see if I can get past that.

Defining a Path is something a person has to decide for themselves,
I don't point out particulars but I do voice opinions if asked.
BelievHUman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well, if you want to see

Post  AustenFan on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:34 pm

if you can get past all, that I commend you Smile I have pretty much decided to very VERY selective as to where I put my atention. That's why I pretty much don't watch T.V. anymore and no longer wish to go on the advance net sites. Paul said in Phillipians 4:8:

Finally, beloved. Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, and if there is anything worthy of praise, think on these things..."

I don't find those things on advance net forums. I don't find anything to spiritually build me up so my prayer and discernment says I should stay away. It's sometimes hard enough being a Christian in this culture without going on the kinds of sites which knock people of faith down.

Grace and peace to you.
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Austen, your post reminded me

Post  cradlerc on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:15 pm

of something in Screwtape Letters (it has been a long time since I've read it, though) about bein careful of spending too much time around those who mock your beliefs, because we're a lot weaker than we think we are. i commend any of us who spend time in places and with people--in real life or virtual--who are fundamentalatheists, because I think sometimes we plant seeds we'll never see. This is probably the teacher in me--I've learned to have faith that God uses us in ways we don;t see, and may never see. Every now and then, a student comes back (my favorite is when the reistant writers show me the journal they now cart around everywhere! Very Happy ) But it can also be an occasion for sin, so we have to be careful. I myself haven't visited syracuse, for example, in quite a while.
cradlerc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

cradlerc, you hit it

Post  BelievHUman on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:03 pm

I am just there to plant seed, it may be a change in path someone needs to break from negative influences in their life, there is many with anger in them. I am letting Spirit have control when I am there, it has never failed me.

I only explain my view and let it go.

No different than here, the Gnostic, Pagan or Advancenet forums I visit.

and FYI, I advocate the 2 Commandments as Virtue and Goal.
BelievHUman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Not sure it's no different than here

Post  VicarJoe on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:58 am

For example, read this: http://syracusereligion.blogspot.com/2009/01/ricoisms.html

Then this: http://syracusereligion.blogspot.com/2009/01/ricoisms-part-deux.html

That's typical advance net.

In well over a thousand posts here over a month, no one has ever been anywhere near as abusive even once as people are every single day in probably the majority of posts on advance net.

To my thinking, not only is there no moral equivalent, but it cries out to be corrected when someone tries to make them morally equivalent.

I do have to agree with stihl's point that if you press the typical atheist, and he's honest (which is not a given), he'll tell you that he realized in fifth or sixth grade that religion was all a lie and that there was no God, etc. That is, they figured out all the deep problems that have faced humankind since the beginning, and all before reaching puberty. Not surprisingly, that is a pretty arrogant position, not to mention sub-adolescent.
VicarJoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Athiest Nation

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down