Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over population..

2 posters

Go down

Over population.. Empty Over population..

Post  stihl Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm

...can you believe this has yet to be a topic?

Cradle, you mentioned below questioning the myth of over-population. Before I get into population, I wanted to understand what you meant.

I know in previous posts Darwian Fairtales has come up. I thought the theme of the book was in regards to natural selection controling morality. Were you, in your post, reffering to the opinion that there are too many human beings on this planet?
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Over population.. Empty Yes, I was.

Post  cradlerc Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:34 pm

And what I meant was that i had alaawys "known" that the main the main problem we face is that there are too many people being produced, especially in thrid world countries werhe they don't know any better, and we're going to run out of food by 2000, or 2010--the date kept getting pushed back.

It took a long time for me to come to see that the situation is considerably more complicated than that, and that often concerns about envirnment and population are masking more nefarious concerns about keeping to a certain lifestyle for certain groups of people, and about a concealed alarm that "white people are being outnumbered."

Please don't infer from that that I am unconcerned about the envirenment, or that I don;t realize that human populations can outstrip their resources and food supply. I actually believe that one of the things lost int he Fall was our real relationship to the this earth, of which we're meant to be stewards. I think that we were given dominoin over the eath, but because of our fallen nature we've misunderstood and misused it.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Over population.. Empty I hadn't considered that....

Post  stihl Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 pm

....that concern for over population was masking a concern for being over run.

In today's world concern for over population seems to stem from our revulsion of suffering and a concern for the quality of the enviorment. I know by comfort you meant cheap consumer goods but, I beleive there is a desire for a certain amount land to be untouched by Man.

The "over-running" factor may be there unconsciously but, I think there a very real and legitimate fear of competition for resources.

There are a couple of ways to deal with competition. Be prepared to beat the other guy or, find something else to use so there is no competition. Our energy resources come to mind.
stihl
stihl

Back to top Go down

Over population.. Empty Re: Over population..

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down