The Great Divorce

Go down

The Great Divorce

Post  stihl on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:21 pm

I feel a bit improper about adding a new post when Joe has several started that haven't been responded to. Sorry Joe (btw who's death mask?).

I finished Lewis's "Great Divorce". A much easier read then "Miracles" but, that it is because it a story rather than a discerntation.

This book is a nice "bookend" to "The Screwtape Letters".

It reads like Dicken's "Christmas Carrol", in that the main character is lead around observing the exhanges between the ghosts and spirits. What really moved me in this book is that I could identify with the arguments used by most of the ghosts, coming up with ways to justify clinging to what is "un-perfectable".

One theme he touches on that was in Screwtape Letters was spiritual pride. In the "Great Divorce", Lewis says the greatest archangels make for the fiercest demons. Also, brass is more easily mistaken for gold then clay. The point being, when we persue Faith, we must be cautious that the persuit doesn't become a matter of pride and lose site of our objective.

Another thought that occured to me was vampires. A bit bizzare but, the image of the souls that are so prideful (or fearful) of giving up the natural existence remind me of vampires. Creatures always bound to Earth. You have to wonder if the current fasination and popularity with vampires isn't emblamatic of the desire to always hold on to this existence and having the illusion of power and control

Anyway, Austen, thanks for recommending a great book. I like to dog-ear the pages when I find a nugget. The problem is, the whole book is dog-earred. study
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am glad that

Post  AustenFan on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:43 pm

you liked it, stihl. The Great Divorce is one of favorites books with theological themes. It is entertaining and fun to read. You're right : it does make a nice bookend to "The Screwtape Letters.".
AustenFan

View user profile

Back to top Go down