Lindisfarne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians

2 posters

Go down

Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians Empty Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians

Post  VicarJoe Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Sing 'em a verse from this Nazi Youth ditty I came across in my reading:

"We are the happy Hitler Youth;
We have no need for Christian virtue;
For Adolf Hitler is our intercessor
And our redeemer.
No priest, no evil one
Can keep us
From feeling like Hitler’s children.
No Christ do we follow, but Horst Wessel!
Away with incense and holy water pots."

Well, Dick, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it...

And how about the Nazi-revised lyrics to “Silent Night”:

"Silent night! Holy night! All is calm, all is bright,
Only the Chancellor steadfast in fight,
Watches o’er Germany."

Yipes!

Then there's this little problem: "In 1935 mandatory prayer in school was abolished, and in 1938 carols and Nativity plays were banned entirely. By 1941 religious instruction for children fourteen years and up had been abolished altogether."

I feel like I'll spend my whole adult life unlearning the lies I learned as a youth.
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians Empty Ain't that the truth.

Post  cradlerc Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:40 am

I've been reading Darwinian Fairytales, and I remembered a moment in grad school when I started to get a little glimmer that maybe the overpopulation stuff was a bit, um, exaggerated. I remember thinking--why do we keep talking about the third wolrd? And why did someone just ask if, given that we could do away with high populations elsewhere, it would be ok for him to own a whole lot of land? And it was like trying to think inside a wet paper towel, I was so convinced by all of the population arguments I knewto be true.

The same with Nazis and Chritianity. I had never heard of Bonhoeffer until I was in my twenties. When my grandmother used to point out how many Catholics died in concentration camps, I thought it was some weird anti-semitism that made her exaggerate so.

Now I just wonder how many malformed truths I'm living with without realising it.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians Empty See, now David Stove's book will absolutely ruin you

Post  VicarJoe Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:39 pm

You'll feel like the person in Plato who stepped outside the cave and came back to report to the cave dwellers chained to the rock that the shadows aren't real. They'll think you're insane. Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians 241816
VicarJoe
VicarJoe

Back to top Go down

Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians Empty That's me, all right.

Post  cradlerc Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:22 pm

I've tried to tone it down lately, because I think I'm about to drive Mr. Cradle out of his mind.
cradlerc
cradlerc

Back to top Go down

Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians Empty Re: Next time someone tells you about those Nazi Christians

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down