Another collapsed institution, for those keeping count

Go down

Another collapsed institution, for those keeping count

Post  VicarJoe on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:34 pm

I used to, as a young man, pick up copies of GQ for its images of what a man could aspire to be: I remember an early issue I bought with an older Cary Grant on the cover, looking as handsome at 80 as most men look when they're 30. It was, for me, a kind of peek into sophistication and elegance. There were discussions of french cuffs and tailor-made suits and what kind of scotch went best with steak au poivre. When I was 18 or 19, I had a certain yen for images of sophisticated and truly adult masculinity--I pictured the kind of suits I'd buy and the kind of elegant car I'd drive (wearing leather gloves, no doubt). A bit silly, yes, but for me, it stood for a kind of adult manhood that was past t-shirts and jeans, past drinking cheap beer till you got sick, past having posters on the wall (as opposed to art), past adolescence.

In short, I wasn't a man, it was hard for me to conceive of being a man, but there was a magazine that held out the hope that actually maturing and becoming grown-up, as opposed to being a perpetual adolescent, was a good thing. A very good thing.

So when I saw this today, it gave me a little pang of sadness:

I don't know where a young man today would look if he aspired one day to be an adult.

VicarJoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Field and Stream.....

Post  stihl on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 am

...don't laugh. I know on the heels of letting everybody know that I listien to country music, you all will think me a hick (I am).

Although Field and Stream doesn't provide much guidence in the ways of dressing for sucess (unless you like camo and plaid), it does provide an example to kids as to how to act like an adult.

Most articles are laced with reminders to respect the property of others, to treat animals humanely and to obey the law. In short, it is a bastion of objective moralitly.

I thought Sacha Cohen was all about covering up his true identity (looks). I was watching special features for an animated movie he did and, they would not show his face. The guy looks....efeminate?
stihl

View user profile

Back to top Go down